Modernizing the Law: Remote Notarizations and Electronic Wills in Illinois
This summer Illinois passed three laws that will affect anyone who uses electronic signatures. It replaced the law that allows electronic signatures with the Uniform Electronic Transactions Act. It amended the Illinois Notary Public Act to allow electronic notaries and remote notarizations. And it passed the Electronic Wills and Remote Witnesses Act.
Please join us when Ray Prather, Prather Ebner LLP and Amy Williams with the Illinois Secretary of State’s office will
- Describe how the laws on electronic signatures and documents changed;
- Clarify the changes in store for notary publics;
- Explain the different processes for remotely notarizing documents;
- Provide an overview of the technology requirements for electronic wills in Illinois; and
- Explain how to remotely sign wills and other documents that require a witness.